Global : 1

3.9 Special Groups: Youth, Elderly people, LGTB

3.9.1 Youth

There are various services from the State, the Autonomous Regions and the municipalities that serve people between 16 and 30 years old.

  • Instituto Nacional de la Juventud (National Youth Institute)
  • Institutos Autonómicos de la Juventud u Organismos de Juventud Autonómicos (Regional Youth Institutes or Associations)
  • Consejo de la Juventud de España (Spanish Youth Council)
  • Consejos Autonómicos de la Juventud (Regional Youth Councils)
  • Centros Regionales de Información Juvenil (Regional Youth Information Centres)
  • Centros Municipales de atención/información a la juventud (Municipal Information and Assitance Youth Centres)
  • Centros o Casas de la Juventud (Youth Centres)
  • Bolsa de vivienda para jóvenes (Housing pool for Young People)
  • Programa de Emancipación Juvenil (Youth “Moving out” Program)

These services provide information and guidance about different topics relevant to young people:

  • Associations
  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Training
  • Access to cultural and leisure programs
  • Youth tourism programs
  • Issuance of international cards that offer special conditions to young people: Youth hostels, youth card, International student card, etc.

There is also a large number of youth associations where you can receive information on various topics.


- There is a large Lumber of associations for young people.
- There is a large network of youth centres in every Autonomous Region. 
- Youth associations are strong in Spain. You can find information and a directory of youth centres on the Consejo de la Juventud de España or the Instituto de la Juventudwebsites: y 
- You have the right to request the service of a sign language interpreter. You may get information about this at your nearest association or federation for the deaf.

3.9.2 Elderly People

Policies aimed at improving the quality of life of elderly people have a great development in Spain.
It is usually the Social Services at the Autonomous Regions and municipalities that manage the various aids and services available for the elderly population:

• Day care centres for the elderly: social assistance and specialized treatment.
• Municipal centres for the elderly: they organize cultural and leisure activities.
• Homes for the elderly: hosting services.
• Home help service: aimed at people with low incomes and home care needs or difficulties due to lack of personal autonomy and who do not have a family support network.
• Tele-assistance service: aimed at people who live alone, or spend time alone in their homes, and who are struggling for autonomy and or have health problems. Through telephone and communication equipment an adequate 24 hour emergency response is given, involving different human and/or material resources.


- To access these services you must:

  • Be registered in the municipality where you request services
  • Have a residence permit
  • Prove that you meet the eligibility requirements for each service

- Get information at your nearest Social Services Centre.

- You have the right to request the service of a sign language interpreter. You may get information about this at your nearest association or federation for the deaf.

3.9.3 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People (LGBT)

The rights of LGBT people in Spain are established in a law that recognizes same sex marriage and adoption of children by couples of the same sexLaw 13/2005, July 1, which amends the Civil Code concerning the right to marry. 

There are also services whose aim is to avoid situations of discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity and to inform and guide LGBT people. These services are both public and private, managed by the Autonomous Regions, municipalities and social organizations of associations of LGBT people.

  • Autonomous Regions and Municipalities

 In some Autonomous Regions and municipalities there are specific services that offer advice, guidance and support to LGBT people including:

  • Reception and information
  • Social assistance
  • Psychological care
  • Assistance in job search
  • Legal assistance
  • Awareness and training

These are services that offer support to LGBT people and their families.

  • Social Entities

The LGBT associations have a very strong presence throughout the Spanish territory. LGBT associations, as well as raising pubic awareness, offer different services to LGBT people:

  • Assistance and information centres
  • Legal, psychological and medical advice
  • Special groups of deaf people and immigrants
  • Office of complaints

On the website of the Federation of Lesbian, Gay, Transgender and Bisexual People (FELGTB) you will find a directory of LGBT associations throughout

Logo Empleo Logo FAMI Fondo de Asilo

Logo Empleo Logo FAMI Fondo de Asilo