3.9.2 Elderly People
Policies aimed at improving the quality of life of elderly people have a great development in Spain.
It is usually the Social Services at the Autonomous Regions and municipalities that manage the various aids and services available for the elderly population:
• Day care centres for the elderly: social assistance and specialized treatment.
• Municipal centres for the elderly: they organize cultural and leisure activities.
• Homes for the elderly: hosting services.
• Home help service: aimed at people with low incomes and home care needs or difficulties due to lack of personal autonomy and who do not have a family support network.
• Tele-assistance service: aimed at people who live alone, or spend time alone in their homes, and who are struggling for autonomy and or have health problems. Through telephone and communication equipment an adequate 24 hour emergency response is given, involving different human and/or material resources.
- To access these services you must:
- Get information at your nearest Social Services Centre.- You have the right to request the service of a sign language interpreter. You may get information about this at your nearest association or federation for the deaf.