4. EQUAL TREATMENT AND OPPORTUNITIES. FIGHT AGAINST DISCRIMINATION.
Being part of the Spanish society implies complying with a series of duties and the recognition of a number of rights: rights guaranteed by European Regulations and the Spanish legislation.
These rights include equal treatment and opportunities and non discrimination.
All people living in Spain who are discriminated against have the right to report this situation using the different social and legal instruments at their disposal.
Examples of discrimination:
• Denying the presence of sign language interpreters in the public sphere
• Refusal to schooling minors who have recently arrived to Spain once the school year has started
• Being verbally abused for being an immigrant
• Any situation where you believe you have been discriminated against
This Guide is intended to be a tool to promote non-discrimination and equal treatment and opportunities for deaf immigrants. These people are placed at a higher level of social vulnerability: as immigrants who are trying to integrate into a new society and as deaf people who are faced with communication barriers that may hinder their full integration.