Mothers and fathers are responsible of their daughters and sons’ safety.
The risks they must deal with are different depending on their age group:
- For any age, but especially for children older than 7 or 8 years old, there is the problem of bullying in schools by peers. We must be aware, talk to the minors, ask them for the relationship they have with others and observe their attitude at school. We must keep in mind this is a key time in the development of their personality.
- Minors of short age, although also those older than 14, can be victims of sexual abuse carried out by people they trust in their environment. We must be aware of their reactions, comments, acts…
- Those older than 11 or 12 years old, start to be exposed to adult dangers: alcohol, drugs, harassments, aggressions, small crimes…
There are a number of basic recommendations:
- They must not get into a car with strangers.
- They must not eat or drink anything a stranger offers them.
- They must know their full name, address and phone number.
- They must know how to act when anyone knocks on the door or phones them.
- To stimulate sports, other social and culture activities such as music, dancing, theater…
- To know their Friends.
- Look at their attitude at school and their studies.
- Do not prohibit, persuade them and make them understand.